Singing has always been a part of my life. I'm one of those obnoxious people who sings along with every song on car radio and 90% of the time I actually do know the lyrics to the songs. I've sung in my church choir as a child, I did choir in high school and did musicals. As an adult one of the main draws to going back to church was so I could get back to singing again. I'm no Carrie Underwood but I can carry a tune.
I'm the youngest person in my church choir by about 20 years. The other day one of my fellow choir members told me she missed me at practice (I'd been sick) because I have a nice voice. That just about made my day. She also asked if I had ever considered being a cantor. The thing is, she's not the first person to tell me this. My husband tells me I have a nice voice and so have some of my other friends. So I know when I sing to my babies in the future, they won't cry harder from my horrible voice lol. The only problem is I have horrible stage fright. I could never be a soloist. All those eyes on me and I'd be terribly nervous. My husband thinks I'm wasting my gift by not sharing it with others and I just need to get over this. I say singing in a choir is sharing just fine and stage fright isn't just something you get over.
Hi Jennifer!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't St. Rose have a "cantor in training" program? you should talk to Peter and see. Maybe you could train and work up to it! You do have a nice voice and we could use more voices like yours! :) Just a thought, no pressure!!!