Sunday, February 24, 2013

An internal struggle

I've got an internal struggle going on and I'm hoping people who don't actually know me won't figure out who I am from this post.

One of my high school classmates died about 10 years ago in a tragic accident. In our hometown, they are dedicating a memorial in his honor this year. His best friends and members of his family set up a charity for him a few years ago. I'm toying with the idea of going to memorial ceremony but here's my issue, I've never gone to anything else and I've never "liked" the page on facebook and here's why.

We never got along in high school. In fact, I'm quite sure he was behind a prank on me in high school. I knew it was a prank and therefore it wasn't successful and one of my friends told me he did something back him (although I can't verify this). After that we ignored each other for the rest of high school but I never did like him. And while I would never wish ill on him, I felt it was somehow disingenous to "like" his memorial on facebook all this time. I feel like those who knew what happened would think it's weird that someone who didn't like him in high school is supporting a charity event in his honor. But am I being weird? Am I just over thinking this?

Part of me wants to go because a lot of my classmates who I haven't seen since I graduated high school will be there and I'd like to see them. But is that just kind of strange? Going to a memorial for one of your classmates just to see people you haven't seen in 10 years?

I have a few months to make my decision but this is where I am right now. Thoughts imaginary people?

No comments:

Post a Comment