My first day at my new job starts next Monday. Given that we are in the season of Lent, it seems only appropriate that my new job starts in the season of renewal. I'm so very excited about this new adventure. I just need to buy new clothes. For the past few years I have worked in a work casual environment and now it's work professional. So far I have two jackets, two shirts and one pair of pants. Can't really wear the same pair of pants every day though.
I think one of the things I am most looking forward to besides a shorter commute and more money is meeting new people and hopefully more professional people. One of the things that has been driving me crazy lately is the personalities and it's probably more evident now that I am leaving. I actually had to bring up to one of my managers that two of my male co-workers were discussing where their children were conceived. While they were joking, it was still a highly inappropriate conversation for the office. And I think it's because we are so casual that people think we can get away we these sort of things. Because I am leaving soon, I don't mind rocking the boat and complaining to management. A couple of my other co-workers are sitting in silence and don't want to tell anyone.
I'm also hoping being happier at work and in general will inspire me to take better care of myself. I've been very lazy when it comes to taking care of me. I've put on a considerable amount of weight the last few years. I've been in a funk for over a year now. I've read that not getting a good amount of sleep can contribute to weight gain but I also know a lot of it is all on me. For a year my lunches were all microwave meals because we didn't have a fridge at work so I couldn't keep fresh cold cuts at work so that's just a whole lot of sodium intake. And not being happy for 13-14 hours a day is a big chunk of time so I just let myself go and didn't really care. Sure I hate that my clothes don't fit but in my head I still look as good in the clothes as I did several years ago when they did actually fit. And then I see pictures of myself and I'm dropped back into reality. But when you are getting up at 5, working from 8:30-5 and then getting home at 7:30, dinner becomes later and quicker meals that aren't really healthy for you.
Now, I can sleep an hour later in the morning and I'll be home earlier. I'm also hoping with more money in my paycheck I'll be less stressed. I'm constantly looking at my bank account and checking to make sure I'm living within my meager budget. I'm constantly worrying about the fact that we have very little savings and how in the world are we every going to afford to add children into the mix. I can now add more money into our joint account and give myself a little more money. I know God will provide in the end and he's provided in the form of this new job. I know I seem to be putting a lot of weight on this new job and how much it's going to contribute to my happiness, I just hope it's true.
I sing in my choir at church and I am one of the youngest members. I told the ladies I got a new job and they were all very excited for me. One of them told me she could now take me off her prayer list. I had no idea I was even on her list. I felt very special hearing that.
On a different note, 2011 is not starting out to be a very healthy for my family and friends. My mom sprained her ankle last month, my aunt was unpacking her car after returning home from Florida and she broke her ankle and had to have surgery, my other aunt who already has MS just found out she has brain & lung cancer, and finally my hairdresser who I have gone to since I was 11 found out she has breast cancer. I hope it gets better from here on out.
No comments:
Post a Comment