Friday, January 21, 2011

Resolution #1-Hunt for a new job

Leaving in New England inevitably means we are going to get snow. In addition to simply being miserable every day I added a new reason to look for a new job last month. The weekend of Christmas they called me and asked me if I wanted to be put up in a hotel to make sure I was at work on time the next day. Excuse me? I promptly told them no, I was with my family and that I would make a decision in the morning about making in into work safely. My bosses response? We expect you to be in work tomorrow. Well, it's good to know my safety and my family are important to you.

I met with a recruiter yesterday in attempts to find a new job. It would be a job fairly different from what I am doing now and working for a much smaller company. This is so much more appealing to me. During the interview they asked me if my boss knew I was looking for a new job, presumably for a reference. I told her no.

I understand some people have a good enough rapport with their boss to have these conversations but I don't. My co-workers all know or most know. Heck, I hear conversations among themselves about their own search is going. My company encourages us to grow in our career path but I'm not so sure how much they would encourage me to leave the company completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment