Monday, September 5, 2011

Irene

So the hurricane last weekend? I should have prepared a little better. We lost power around 11am last Sunday and didn't get it back until Monday night. Now compared to some of the other people I know we did get lucky. But since we have a well, we lost water. Thankfully my husband was smart enough to fill the bathtub so we could flush the toilets. We also have a water bubbler so we had water to wash our hands and brush our teeth. Monday I called out of work because I just felt so gross from not showering for two days. A friend of mine who lived close by had running water and power so I went to her house to take a shower and then I went to work. Guilt is a powerful thing and I felt guilty staying home when I wasn't sick. My friend thought I was crazy.

I've also discovered Boy Meets World is back on TV. I loved those nights watching TGIF :-).

My in-laws came over Saturday and helped clear up the down tree branches in our yard. They also cut down a few small trees to help clear up the backyard a little. It looks a little more open back there now which is nice. Sunday I got to spend time with my mom which was kind of nice. It was a parents weekend of sorts. I hadn't seen my mom is over a month.

My aunt died last weekend during the storm. It's kind of weird to think that she's not here anymore. Probably because she was so young. She wasn't even 60 yrs old. And while she was in NC, I did get to see her for the occasional special event and I just spent time with her in June and she didn't seem sick. I remember she loved bloody mary's and DD coffee that she was always reheating. I'm glad I did get to see her when she was well and give her a great big hug. They had her cremated and they spread her ashes at the beach. We're celebrating her birthday this fall up here with the rest of our family.

Speaking of fall, I can't wait to start decorating my house. I have one tote of all my fall stuff and one of all my Halloween stuff. My fall stuff will go up next weekend and my Halloween stuff goes up within the first few days in October. I love the look of pumpkins and mums on the front steps, picking apples and the leaves changing. I just wish you could see our front steps more, we have trees which helps block the noise from the road but you can't really see our front porch. I may put a few things out there anyway this year. For the most part, my husband just kind of lets me decorate for the holidays however I please.

No comments:

Post a Comment